"Law & Order" may get reprieve from death: producer

Tue May 18, 2010 1:37pm EDT
 
Email This Article |
Share This Article
  • Facebook
  • LinkedIn
  • Twitter
| Print This Article | Single Page
[-] Text [+]

By Walker Simon

NEW YORK (Reuters) - The U.S. television show "Law & Order" may be revived after it was due to be canceled, offering hope to fans, actors and a city on the verge of losing a lucrative drama showcasing New York's quirks and characters.

NBC last week said it had canceled the crime series after 20 seasons, but "Law & Order" producer Dick Wolf hinted the show might be resuscitated.

"The patient is not dead," Wolf said in a statement on Tuesday. "It is in a medically induced coma, and we are hoping for a cure."

Wolf told The New York Times he was seeking other offers for the show; a two-hour "Law & Order" TV movie was possible.

Nationwide, an appeal to save the show has drawn more than 17,000 people to the Facebook group "Save Law & Order!"

New York City says the series generated $79 million in business a season, or about $1.5 billion over the life of the show, which Mayor Michael Bloomberg praised for shooting on location and promoting New York's "depth and versatility."

"I can't believe they want to cancel it," Olympic skiing gold medalist Lindsey Vonn wrote on Facebook. "Maybe if we all get together and support the show they will keep it on air."

With its revolving regular cast and more than 10,000 guest actors, "Law & Order" drew inspiration from real crimes and events, giving it a "ripped from the headlines" appeal.   Continued...