Anniversary of Jackson death seen passing quietly

Mon Jun 21, 2010 3:45pm EDT
 
Email This Article |
Share This Article
  • Facebook
  • LinkedIn
  • Twitter
| Print This Article | Single Page
[-] Text [+]

By Jill Serjeant

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Michael Jackson's mother said she hopes the world will continue to remember the "Thriller" singer, as fans waited on Monday to hear if they will be able to mark the first anniversary of his death by visiting the cemetery where is buried.

The Los Angeles-area Forest Lawn cemetery said it hoped to announce plans later on Monday for possible visits to the site. Media reports earlier this month said discussions were underway that could give fans limited access over the weekend.

As the June 25 date approaches, Jackson's immediate family is expected to mark the event privately.

But a year after Jackson's sudden death, which occurred only days before a planned series of comeback concerts in London, his music legacy seems secure.

Music magazine Billboard estimated Jackson's estate has generated at least $1 billion in revenues in the past year, mostly through record sales, the "This Is It" concert movie, licensing rights, deals to release new albums and a Cirque du Soleil stage show in Las Vegas.

The Wall Street Journal said on Monday the executors of Jackson's estate had paid off nearly $200 million of the $500 million debt the singer had left when he died aged 50 at his Los Angeles home.

Friday's anniversary is expected to be low-key.

MOURNING IN PRIVATE   Continued...