Stay away order extended for Bullock stalker

Fri Aug 6, 2010 2:45pm EDT
Email This Article |
Share This Article
  • Facebook
  • LinkedIn
  • Twitter
| Print This Article
[-] Text [+]

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - A California judge on Friday extended for three years a stay away order against a man who is accused of stalking Oscar-winning actress Sandra Bullock.

The restraining order bars 41-year-old Thomas Weldon from coming within 100 yards of Bullock, her adopted baby boy and the three children of her ex-husband Jesse James.

Los Angeles Superior Court Judge Carol Boas Goodson had issued a temporary order against Weldon on July 19, after a previous stay away order expired last year.

"This is clearly a case of a fan going beyond being a fan," Goodson said. "This is the downside of celebrity."

Weldon allegedly showed up at a house Bullock keeps in Wyoming this past June, saying he had driven there to meet her. The previous orders were issued for similar attempts he made to meet the 45-year-old actress, who won a best-actress Oscar for her role in football film, "The Blind Side".

Bullock's attorney Edwin F. McPherson said Weldon is currently in a mental health facility in Wyoming.

Bullock, who recently relocated to Texas from the Los Angeles area, was not present for the hearing.

(Reporting by Carolina Madrid; Editing by Bob Tourtellotte)

<p>Actress Sandra Bullock, best actress nominee for "The Blind Side," arrives at the 82nd Academy Awards in Hollywood, March 7, 2010. REUTERS/Lucas Jackson</p>