Jean-Luc Godard may attend Oscar event after all
By Gregg Kilday
LOS ANGELES (Hollywood Reporter) - Jean-Luc Godard may, indeed, make it to Hollywood in November to pick up his honorary Oscar, despite an earlier report indicating the French director was too old to travel and a little disgruntled about the award.
The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences said Tuesday it had received "a cordial, handwritten note" from 79-year-old Godard in response to its notification that he would receive a statuette.
"In it," the academy said, "Godard graciously thanked the organization for the honor and referred to himself as 'the fourth musketeer,' in acknowledgment of the fact that three others (film historian Kevin Brownlow, Francis Ford Coppola and Eli Wallach) are among the year's honorees. His note, relayed to the Academy late last week via an assistant to Godard, indicated that, schedule permitting, he would come to Los Angeles for the November 13 Governors Awards event."
The latest twist in the academy's effort to honor the elusive Godard contradicts a report in The Australian newspaper over the weekend, in which his companion and producing partner Anne-Marie Mieville cited the director's age as the reason for his not wanting to make the trip.
"Would you go all that way just for a bit of metal?" she asked.
Mieville also indicated that Godard had issues with the fact that the honorary Oscar was no longer part of the Oscar telecast. The academy last year relegated the honorary Oscar handout to its Governors Awards bash to free up more time during the subsequent main ceremony.
"He just told me, it's not the Oscars,'" she said. "At first he thought it was going to be part of the same ceremony, then he realized it was a separate thing in November."
© Thomson Reuters 2016 All rights reserved.