John Lennon's killer refused parole for sixth time
NEW YORK (Reuters) - John Lennon's killer was denied parole for the sixth time on Tuesday, three months before the 30th anniversary of the former Beatle's death.
The New York State Division of Parole turned down Mark David Chapman's request, citing concerns "about the disregard you displayed for the norms of our society and the sanctity of human life," according to a report by CNN.
The three-member parole board panel concluded in written comments that Chapman's "discretionary release remains inappropriate at this time and incompatible with the welfare of the community."
The New York Daily News said the parole division received 75 letters arguing against Chapman's release, including one from Lennon's 77-year-old widow, Yoko Ono, who said last month she believed Chapman posed a risk to her, Lennon's two sons, the public and even to himself.
Her lawyer Peter Shukat told the newspaper that Ono was "very pleased" to hear of the decision to keep Chapman incarcerated.
Chapman, 55, is serving a jail sentence of 20 years to life for shooting Lennon four times in the back outside the musician's New York apartment building on December 8, 1980. He pleaded guilty to second-degree murder.
He has served 29 years of his sentence at a maximum-security facility in Attica, New York. For the past 20 years he has been allowed conjugal visits with his wife Gloria whom he married in 1979. He has come up for parole every two years since 2000.
(Writing by Belinda Goldsmith, Editing by Dean Goodman)
© Thomson Reuters 2016 All rights reserved.