Placido Domingo to remain with LA Opera

Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:29pm EDT
Email This Article |
Share This Article
  • Facebook
  • LinkedIn
  • Twitter
| Print This Article
[-] Text [+]

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Spanish tenor Placido Domingo has renewed his contract as general director of the LA Opera through 2013, saying his many years of work with the company have been both challenging and rewarding.

Domingo has been affiliated with the Los Angeles opera company since starring in its inaugural production of "Otello" in 1986. He was named artistic director in 2000 and general director in 2003.

"As an artist who has been committed to the growth and development of LA Opera since its earliest days, I find my position her both creatively challenging and deeply rewarding, and I am proud to call this company home," Domingo said.

The 69-year-old star performer has enjoyed a long career on opera stages, but he is perhaps best known as one of "The Three Tenors" alongside Luciano Pavarotti and Jose Carreras who performed concerts together in the 1990s and early 2000s.

Just last week, the Latin Recording Academy said it would honor Domingo with its person of the year award at the upcoming Latin Grammys in Las Vegas.

Domingo, who was born in Spain to a family of operatic performers, underwent colon cancer surgery in March of this year, and was back singing in April.

(Reporting and Writing by Bob Tourtellotte; Editing by Dean Goodman)

<p>Spanish tenor Placido Domingo performs during a free concert in front of the Angel of Independence Monument in Mexico City December 19, 2009. REUTERS/Eliana Aponte</p>