Mel Gibson out of "Hangover" sequel
By Borys Kit
LOS ANGELES (Hollywood Reporter) - Mel Gibson will no longer be playing a cameo role in "The Hangover 2" after news of the casting triggered an internal backlash at the studio and on the film.
Director Todd Phillips and Warner Bros. were ready to feature Gibson as a tattoo artist. Now the filmmakers have withdrawn the offer.
Phillips, Warners and partner Legendary Pictures announced the development Thursday afternoon.
"I thought Mel would have been great in the movie and I had the full backing of (the studio)," said Phillips in a statement. "But I realize filmmaking is a collaborative effort, and this decision ultimately did not have the full support of my entire cast and crew."
A representative for Gibson was not immediately available for comment.
When the casting announcement was made earlier this week, a source familiar with the production told the Hollywood Reporter that the role was to be "pivotal" to the plot, which features one of the characters going under the needle during a night of debauchery.
"The Hangover 2" reunites Zach Galifianakis, Bradley Cooper, Ed Helms and Justin Bartha who starred in the hit 2009 original as friends trying to piece together a rowdy Vegas bachelor party. This time the location for their latest mishap is set for Bangkok.
© Thomson Reuters 2017 All rights reserved.