"Spider-Man" cancels show due to new safety rules

Wed Dec 22, 2010 5:40pm EST
 
Email This Article |
Share This Article
  • Facebook
  • LinkedIn
  • Twitter
| Print This Article
[-] Text [+]

NEW YORK (Reuters) - The beleaguered "Spider-Man" musical canceled its next performance on Wednesday in order to put in place new safety measures for its complicated stage maneuvers, the show's publicists said.

The preview performance was canceled after New York state safety inspectors and the show's producers and crew agreed on Wednesday to additional safety measures after a leading stuntman was rushed to a hospital after falling off a high platform during a performance earlier this week.

It was the fourth injury to an actor in the $65 million musical, causing the inspectors to force new rules that require a second stagehand and stage manager to be involved in all of the show's 38 stunts that involve using a harness and rope.

"All of these accidents are a result of safety and health systems failures," Maureen Cox, Director of Safety and Health for the New York State Department of Labor, told reporters.

A spokesman for the show, which has music written by U2's Bono and The Edge, said performances would resume on Thursday and all ticket-holders for the canceled performance would receive refunds.

(Reporting by Christine Kearney, editing by Bob Tourtellotte)