Iran jails film director Panahi for 6 years
TEHRAN (Reuters) - An Iranian court has sentenced acclaimed film director Jafar Panahi to six years in prison and banned him from making movies or traveling abroad for 20 years, his lawyer was quoted as saying on Monday.
Panahi, winner of many international awards and a supporter of opposition leader Mirhossein Mousavi in last year's disputed presidential election, was arrested in early March. He was kept in detention for 88 days, during which he went on a hunger strike.
"Mr. Panahi has been sentenced to six years in jail for acting and propaganda against the system," Isna news agency quoted his lawyer Farideh Gheyrat as saying.
"He has also been banned from making films, writing any kind of scripts, traveling abroad and talking to local and foreign media for 20 years," she added, according to Isna's report.
Gheyrat said "the heavy verdict" had been handed to her on Saturday and that she had 20 days to make an appeal.
According to a statement released in Italy in November, Panahi had gone on trial in Iran accused of making a film without permission and inciting opposition protests after the 2009 election that led to months of political turmoil.
In his statement to the court, released to Reuters by the organizers of "Giornate degli Autori - Venice Days" -- a side event of the Venice film festival -- Panahi said he was a victim of injustice and called one of the charges against him "a joke."
Panahi said he had started making his latest film when his house was raided and his film collection was deemed "obscene" and seized. Panahi was prevented from attending the latest Venice film festival in September.
Another Iranian film maker, Mohammad Rasoulof, who was initially arrested along with Panahi in March, was also sentenced to six years in prison for "acting and propaganda against the system," Isna reported. His lawyer said he would appeal, it said. Continued...