Spider-Man musical overhauled, delayed again: report
NEW YORK (Reuters Life!) - The $65 million "Spider-Man: Turn Off the Dark" Broadway musical is undergoing a major overhaul that will likely see a new director and a three-month delay in its opening date, the New York Times reported.
The troubled show, created by director Julie Taymor with music written by U2's Bono and The Edge, was due to open on March 15 after a series of past setbacks.
But the show is currently negotiating to replace Taymor and it is unlikely now to open until June, causing its sixth delay, while it shuts down for several weeks to hold new rehearsals and gives the cast a break from previews, the Times said.
Rick Miramontez, a spokesman for the show, told Reuters on Wednesday: "The production is not confirming any reports of a shutdown."
The new changes will be one of the largest overhauls yet for the most expensive musical on Broadway after cost over-runs, a string of injuries to cast and crew and a series of safety violations due to its ambitious flying routines.
Taymor, a film, theater and opera director who successfully brought "The Lion King" to life on Broadway, has been the creative force behind "Spider-Man" and her departure would signify a major shake-up for the show that does not contain any name stars.
It has been in previews since late last year and has been faring well at the box office, taking in $1.28 million last week, but a series of scathing reviews and problems unprecedented on Broadway is turning the show into a Broadway legend of disastrous productions.
(Reporting by Christine Kearney, editing by Patricia Reaney)
© Thomson Reuters 2016 All rights reserved.