Charlie Sheen "looking out for" colleagues, lawyer says
By Matthew Belloni
LOS ANGELES (Hollywood Reporter) - Charlie Sheen's lawyer wasn't kidding when he promised earlier this week to sue Warner Bros. and "Two and a Half Men" co-creator Chuck Lorre.
The actor on Thursday filed a blistering $100 million lawsuit against the studio and Lorre on behalf of himself and the cast and crew of "Men," demanding payment for the canceled episodes of the hit sitcom and millions of dollars in punitive damages.
"Chuck Lorre, one of the richest men in television who is worth hundreds of millions of dollars, believes himself to be so wealthy and powerful that he can unilaterally decide to take money away from the dedicated cast and crew of the popular television series, 'Two and a Half Men,' in order to serve his own ego and self-interest, and make the star of the Series the scapegoat for Lorre's own conduct," states the lawsuit.
Warner Bros. declined to comment on the suit, filed in Los Angeles Superior Court by Sheen's attorney Marty Singer.
Lorre's attorney, Howard Weitzman, said in a statement: "The allegations in the complaint against Mr. Lorre are as recklessly false and unwarranted as Mr. Sheen's rantings in the media. The accusations are simply imaginary."
Weitzman suggested Sheen's motivation was simply about money.
"This lawsuit is about a fantasy 'lottery' pay-day for Charlie Sheen," he said. "Chuck Lorre's concern has been and continues to be about Mr. Sheen's health."
Singer blamed the cancelation of the remaining eight episodes of this season on, "Warner Bros. capitulating to Lorre's egotistical desire to punish Mr. Sheen," a theory that permeates the 30-odd page lawsuit. Continued...