3 Min Read
NEW YORK (Reuters) - Rap mogul Sean "Diddy" Combs has settled a multimillion dollar lawsuit with three people in a 1999 shooting involving his protegee at a Manhattan nightclub, one of the victim's attorney said on Thursday.
An attorney for one of the victims, Natania Reuben, confirmed the settlement but declined to give further details, saying the settlement that occurred earlier this year was bound by a confidentiality agreement.
"I can confirm it happened, but I can't say anything else because of the confidentiality agreement," attorney Debra Reiser said.
The civil lawsuit stemmed from a December 27, 1999 incident in which Diddy, his then-girlfriend Jennifer Lopez and rapper Jamal "Shyne" Barrow were taken into custody following a shooting scuffle at the now-defunct Club New York in Times Square.
Barrow, who began shooting a gun in the melee, was later convicted of assault in shooting two bystanders who were wounded, while Reuben was wounded in the face by bullet fragments and in 2008 filed a $130 million lawsuit for compensation.
In his criminal trial, Barrow said that the shooting was in self-defense, after another group of men with whom Combs and Barrow had an altercation with started shooting.
Representatives from Diddy's Bad Boy Records, now a subsidiary of Interscope, could not be immediately reached for comment. His spokeswoman did not immediately return a query for comment.
Barrow, 33, was released in 2009 after serving nine years of a ten-year sentence because of assault, weapons possession and reckless endangerment charges stemming from the shooting. Shortly after his release he was deported back to his native Belize.
Combs and an employee of his, Anthony Jones, were acquitted on weapons charges.
The New York Post quoted former Club New York Owner Michael Bergos - who did not sign the confidentiality agreement - as saying that Reuben received $1.8 million in the settlement and that the other two victims received $50,000 and $500,000.
"I did nothing wrong and I may need to talk about (the incident) sometime in the future," Bergos told the Post.
Reporting by Bernd Debusmann Jr., editing by Christine Kearney