Peter Jackson says no "Hobbit" at Comic-Con

Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:59pm EDT
Email This Article |
Share This Article
  • Facebook
  • LinkedIn
  • Twitter
| Print This Article
[-] Text [+]

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Film director Peter Jackson on Wednesday threw some cold water on the hopes of 'Hobbit' fans heading to Comic-Con International in San Diego this week when he said there will be no surprise presentation of his films at the pop culture gathering.

In a posting on his Facebook page, Jackson said it was too early to show any film clips of the widely-anticipated movies based on J.R.R. Tolkien's "The Hobbit" at Comic-Con, as had been speculated.

"Bad news is that we won't be doing any 'Hobbit' presentation," Jackson wrote. Movie studios "New Line and Warner Bros. were very happy to support a presentation, but I declined, simply because I felt it was too early. There's so much more of the films still to shoot."

Jackson, of course, directed the three "Lord of the Rings" movies and in the process won an Academy Award for "The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King." He also built a huge fan base who would do just about anything for an early glimpse of "The Hobbit" movies, which are currently being filmed.

There will be two films based on the Tolkien novel. The first is set for release in 2012.

Jackson did have some good news for fans, however. He has posted a new link for his video blog on making the films, and it can be seen at: here#!/video/video.php?v=10150326323406807

"At least you don't have to travel to San Diego to see it," Jackson wrote in his posting.

Comic-Con, which officially begins on Thursday, is a huge convention attended by lovers of comic books and sci-fi movies and TV shows, and it is widely used by Hollywood studios to promote future films.

(Editing by Zorianna Kit)