China slams Christian Bale for "creating news"

Wed Dec 21, 2011 4:03pm EST
 
Email This Article |
Share This Article
  • Facebook
  • LinkedIn
  • Twitter
| Print This Article | Single Page
[-] Text [+]

BEIJING (Reuters) - China slammed Hollywood actor and "Batman" star Christian Bale Wednesday for "creating news" after he was roughed up by security guards as he attempted to visit a blind legal activist whose detention has sparked a domestic and international outcry.

Bale and a camera crew from CNN were last week jostled by men in plainclothes in Dongshigu village in eastern Shandong province, where activist Chen Guangcheng has been under house arrest for 15 months.

Bale was in China for the premiere of his latest film, "The Flowers of War" by Chinese director Zhang Yimou, a lavish and at times graphic tear-jerker about the 1937 Nanjing Massacre which is China's Oscar entry for best foreign language film.

Foreign Ministry spokesman Liu Weimin, who was asked if China had been embarrassed by Bale's actions given the country's hopes for the film to win an Academy award, said it was Bale who should be embarrassed.

"If anyone should be embarrassed it's the relevant actor, not the Chinese side," Liu told a daily news briefing, in the country's first reaction to Bale's actions.

"What I understand is that the actor was invited by the director Zhang Yimou to attend the movie premiere. He was not invited to any village in Shandong to create news or make a film," he added.

"If he wants to create news, I don't think that would be welcomed by China."

He did not answer a question about whether Bale's actions might affect the chances of any of his upcoming movies being screened in China.

"The Flowers of War" has played to ecstatic audiences in China, and has raked in some 200 million yuan ($31.5 million) at the box office since being released last week.   Continued...