Sacha Baron Cohen's Dictator "outraged" at Oscar "ban"

Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:36pm EST
Email This Article |
Share This Article
  • Facebook
  • LinkedIn
  • Twitter
| Print This Article | Single Page
[-] Text [+]

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Comedian Sacha Baron Cohen, dressed as "The Dictator," voiced his "outrage" at Oscars organizers on Friday for banning his character from the award show's red carpet, although the actor is not barred and will be part of the show.

It appears Cohen, who has mastered impromptu promotional stunts with other characters Borat and Bruno, is up to his old tricks again. After all, his movie "The Dictator" is due in theaters this year, and he needs to lure people to box offices.

Dressed as fictional dictator Admiral General Aladeen in medal-adorned military regalia, Cohen branded Oscar organizers "zionists" for banning him from the Hollywood film awards this Sunday. A video of Aladeen's speech posted online shows him in a gilded chair surrounded by guards and paintings of himself.

"While I applaud the Academy for taking away my right to free speech, I warn you that if you do not lift your sanctions and give me my tickets back by 12 p.m. on Sunday, you will face unimaginable consequences," the comedian shouted while wagging his finger at the camera.

The humor-laced video follows media reports earlier this week that Cohen was banned from the Oscars because he planned to turn up as Aladeen, the central character of his upcoming comedy film "The Dictator" that is set to land in theaters in May.

Oscar organizers later said he was barred as Aladeen the character, but welcome as Cohen the actor.

By Thursday, program producer Brian Grazer had told entertainment TV show Access Hollywood that not only was Cohen allowed to come to Sunday's awards ceremony, he was part of the show as himself and not in character.

"Sacha Baron Cohen, we absolutely respect him as an artist and he's allowed to come. He's coming," Grazer told the show.

Academy representatives were not immediately available, rather conspicuously, for comment on Friday.   Continued...

Actor Sacha Baron Cohen attends the premiere of "Hugo" in New York November 21, 2011. REUTERS/Eric Thayer