Armenia pulls out of Eurovision contest in Azerbaijan

Wed Mar 7, 2012 2:46pm EST
Email This Article |
Share This Article
  • Facebook
  • LinkedIn
  • Twitter
| Print This Article | Single Page
[-] Text [+]

By Hasmik Mkrtchyan

YEREVAN (Reuters) - Armenia has decided to pull out of the 2012 Eurovision song contest in Azerbaijan, its state broadcaster said on Wednesday, underscoring tensions over a disputed enclave.

Armenian-backed forces wrested Nagorno-Karabakh, a mainly Armenian-populated enclave inside Azerbaijan, from Azeri control after the collapse of the Soviet Union.

A ceasefire was reached in 1994 after a conflict in which 30,000 people were killed but tensions continue to dominate relations between the countries.

"Despite the fact that the Azeri authorities have given security guarantees to all participating countries, several days ago the Azeri president made a statement that enemy number one for Azerbaijan was Armenians," Armenia's Public Television said in a statement.

"There is no logic to sending a participant to a country where he will be met as an enemy," the statement said.

Azeri officials were not immediately available for the comment.

A group of Armenian singers, including those who planned to participate in the national competition ahead of the contest, said last month they would not go to Azerbaijan. Yerevan had earlier said an Armenian soldier had been killed by an Azeri sniper on the frontline near Nagorno-Karabakh.

The European Broadcasting Union (EBU) - the organizer of the song contest - expressed disappointment over Armenia's decision.   Continued...