New Italy government investigates fresh collapses in ancient Pompeii
ROME (Reuters) - Italy's culture minister demanded explanations on Sunday after more collapses this weekend in the ancient Roman city of Pompeii raised concerns about the state of one of the world's most treasured archaeological sites.
Pompeii, preserved under ash from a volcanic eruption in 79 A.D. and rediscovered in the 18th century, has been hit by a series of collapses in recent months and years which have sparked international outcry over the neglect of the site.
Officials said the wall of a tomb around 1.7 meters (5.5 feet) high and 3.5 meters long collapsed in the necropolis of Porta Nocera in the early hours of Sunday.
That followed a smaller collapse on Saturday of part of an arch supporting the Temple of Venus.
Heavy rains were cited as the immediate cause.
The Temple of Venus is in an area of the site which was already closed to visitors, while access to the necropolis has been closed following the collapse of the wall.
Culture Minister Dario Franceschini, appointed last month in the new government of Prime Minister Matteo Renzi, summoned officials responsible for the site to Rome for an "emergency meeting" on Tuesday.
He said he wanted a report on the reasons for the latest collapses and would verify routine maintenance at Pompeii as well as the progress of an ambitious restoration project launched last year with European Union funds.
Italian media have highlighted the contrast between the management of Pompeii and a successful exhibition about the ancient Roman city at the British Museum in London last year, which attracted record numbers of visitors. Continued...