Saudi prince's convoy robbed of 250,000 euros in Paris-police
PARIS (Reuters) - Armed gunmen ambushed a Saudi prince's convoy on the outskirts of Paris on Sunday evening, making off with a large amount of cash and some private documents in what police said looked like a raid by well-informed attackers.
The Saudi convoy of about a dozen cars had been heading for the small Le Bourget airport north of the city along the major A1 highway with the prince, whose name was not revealed.
According to a police official about eight masked attackers with guns, driving in two BMW cars, forced one of the cars in the convoy to stop near the Porte de la Chapelle exit junction on the northern edge of the capital at around 2100 (1900 GMT).
"The assailants ... stopped the car, took the wheel and fled taking the driver, an aid and a bodyguard," one police official said.
No shots were fired, nobody was hurt and the three men were later released, the official told Reuters, adding that the gang stole around 250,000 euros ($335,000) in cash and was still at large.
He said the men appeared to have been carrying hand guns, but investigators were still examining video images.
The stolen car and one of the attackers' cars were later found burnt in a Parisian suburb.
"We think they were well informed and organized," a second police official said.
The kingdom's embassy in Paris said in a statement carried on Saudi state media that a Mercedes Viano with German plates rented by a Saudi citizen and carrying his personal belongings was forced to stop on the way to the airport and stolen. Continued...