Travel Picks: World's best travel spots
SINGAPORE (Reuters Life!) - Planning your next holiday for 2010? Here is a list of the world's best travel spots recommended by travel website TripAdvisor (www.tripadvisor.com).
This list is not endorsed by Reuters.
1. Best Destination in the World -- Monaco. Monte-Carlo is home to the celebrated Monte Carlo Casino. This glamorous palace is full of frescoes, sculptures, and features an astonishing gold and marble atrium -- not to mention the main attraction, gambling. Steeped in 700 years of Grimaldi royal history, Monte-Carlo's location is stunning, tucked between French medieval villages and the Alps. Take in a world-class opera or ballet, bask in the sun on Larvotto Beach or get an adrenaline rush at May's Formula 1 Grand Prix.
2. Best Destination in the U.S. -- San Francisco, California. Who cares about a little fog when there's so much to do in San Francisco? By day, explore Fisherman's Wharf and the Aquarium of the Bay, ride a cable car, and stroll around the Presidio; by night, have a fabulous dinner at a Michelin-starred restaurant or a tiny place in Chinatown, then hit some of the best clubs on the West Coast.
3. Best Destination in the World for Beach and Sun: Providenciales, Turks and Caicos. Scuba diving, horseback riding, sunbathing, take your pick. "Provo" offers plenty for the happy couple to do, including picture-perfect coastlines to walk along, hand in hand. The island itself is relatively tranquil; try Malcolm Beach to get even further away from crowds.
4. Best Destination in the U.S. for Beach & Sun -- Myrtle Beach, South Carolina. Myrtle Beach is a family-friendly beach destination -- which means in addition to great beaches, there's plenty to do when the kids are sick of making sand castles. Amusement parks, water sports and golf courses are nearby. And family-friendly dining and hotels abound.
5. Best Destination in the World for Culture and Sightseeing -- Florence, Italy. Everyone's heard the Doors of Paradise, the Duomo and Michelangelo's David are captivating, but in Florence, beauty can sneak up on a traveler unexpectedly. You'll duck into a random church to escape the heat only to spend two hours staring at an impossibly pure blue in a fresco. Or you'll consider writing a sonnet about pear gelato. It's just that kind of place. Don't miss the sunset over the Arno and the famous wines of the Chianti region just south of town.
6. Best Destination in the U.S. for Culture & Sightseeing -- Washington, D.C. Make sure you bring cash to Washington, D.C. Not that it's expensive -- actually, many museums are free -- or that no one accepts plastic. It's just an awful lot of fun to hold up a $5 bill next to the actual Lincoln Memorial, or a $20 in front of the White House. In between touring monuments and historical sights, check out the quirky International Spy Museum, watch pandas at the National Zoo, or catch a military band playing an outdoor concert on Capitol Hill.
7. Best Destination in the World for Families -- Marne-la-Vallee, France. Why did Marne-la-Vallee make the list? It's simple: Disneyland Park Paris. Families have flocked here since its opening in 1992. Other Disney attractions include Walt Disney Studios Park and Golf Disneyland. If you need a break from Minnie and Mickey, visit the Sea Life Center or Val d'Europe Shopping Center. Continued...