Charlie Sheen assault plea hits snag, case delayed

Mon Jun 7, 2010 9:56pm EDT
Email This Article |
Share This Article
  • Facebook
  • LinkedIn
  • Twitter
| Print This Article | Single Page
[-] Text [+]

By Ellen Miller

ASPEN, Colo (Reuters) - A deal that would have wrapped up Charlie Sheen's assault case against his wife in time to resume production on his top-rated television comedy hit a snag on Monday and the case was postponed until July.

Sheen, 44, the star of CBS's "Two and a Half Men", had been expected to plead guilty at the Aspen court to a reduced charge of misdemeanor assault against Brooke Mueller, and to be sentenced to 30 days behind bars.

The plea bargain would have allowed Sheen to leave jail by day to coach actors at a local Aspen theater, and would have had him finishing his sentence in time to start filming the new series of "Two and a Half Men" in the first week of August.

But the chief prosecutor told Judge James Boyd on Monday that the two sides had been unable to reach an agreement. Boyd rescheduled the hearing until July 12.

Prosecutor Arnold Mordkin declined to give details. "It hit a snag," he told reporters afterward. "I am not going to talk about it."

Sheen's attorney Yale Galanter said the actor was disappointed at the failure to resolve the case. "All parties in good faith put this deal together, but minor glitches developed," Galanter told reporters.

Galanter said the "glitches" were not related to Sheen's work release arrangement at the Aspen theater.

Sheen, the highest-paid actor on U.S. television, left court without speaking to the media. Mueller, who had told police that Sheen pulled a knife and threatened to have her killed during the alcohol-fueled argument on Christmas Day 2009, was not seen in Aspen for Monday's hearing.   Continued...

<p>Actor Charlie Sheen (R) waves as he leaves the Pitkin County Courthouse with his attorney Richard Cummins after a court hearing in Aspen, Colorado June 7, 2010. Sheen's court hearing for a Christmas Day assault on his wife was postponed on Monday until July. No agreement was reached at the hearing as to the disposition of the case against him as a plea deal did not go through as planned. REUTERS/Rick Wilking</p>