Dog who ate beehive wins unusual pet insurance award
LOS ANGELES (Reuters Life!) - A Labrador that ate a beehive containing pesticides and thousands of dead bees won an award on Monday that recognized the most unusual pet health insurance claim in the United States.
Ellie, who fully recovered from her encounter with the beehive in southern California, beat a border collie that ran through a window to get at a mailman, and a terrier that bit a chainsaw.
She won a bronze trophy in the shape of a ham, and basket of toys and doggie treats.
The winner was announced on Monday by the Veterinary Pet Insurance Co (VPI) and selected from a dozen pets nationwide.
"Ellie may be a young dog, but she's already managed to eat everything from wooden toy train tracks to laptop computer keys," said the VPI. "So the beehive in the backyard was just another culinary adventure for this insatiable pooch.
All three hungry dogs have recovered after receiving care from a vet.
(Reporting by Jill Serjeant, Editing by Belinda Goldsmith)
© Thomson Reuters 2016 All rights reserved.