December 16, 2010 / 3:55 PM / 7 years ago

"Little Britain" star Lucas wins damages

1 Min Read

LONDON (Reuters) - Little Britain star Matt Lucas has won substantial undisclosed damages and an apology over a "grossly intrusive" Daily Mail article in the wake of his ex-partner's death last year, the Press Association reported.

The actor's lawyers, Schillings, said he had sued for invasion of privacy over an article which appeared in March, five months after the suicide of Kevin McGee, with whom he had entered into a civil partnership in December 2006 before the couple split up just over two years later.

The story, "How Matt Lucas Learnt to Laugh Again," constituted an unlawful intrusion into his grief and suffering and an invasion of his privacy, said the firm.

Solicitor John Kelly said the publication, about which Lucas had received no warning, caused him considerable upset and distress.

He added that Associated Newspapers had published an apology, retracted the allegations and agreed to pay substantial damages and the actor's costs.

London newsroom; Editing by Steve Addison

0 : 0
  • narrow-browser-and-phone
  • medium-browser-and-portrait-tablet
  • landscape-tablet
  • medium-wide-browser
  • wide-browser-and-larger
  • medium-browser-and-landscape-tablet
  • medium-wide-browser-and-larger
  • above-phone
  • portrait-tablet-and-above
  • above-portrait-tablet
  • landscape-tablet-and-above
  • landscape-tablet-and-medium-wide-browser
  • portrait-tablet-and-below
  • landscape-tablet-and-below