LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Charlie Sheen, America's highest paid TV actor, was hospitalized with severe abdominal pains on Thursday after he reportedly laughed too hard at the television during a marathon party.
In the latest apparent instance of rabble-rousing that has threatened production of his CBS hit comedy "Two and A Half Men," Sheen was carried by stretcher to an ambulance early on Thursday morning.
Sheen's spokesman, Stan Rosenfield, told Reuters the actor has a long-standing hernia condition, although he was not sure if that was the direct cause of his latest hospitalization.
"All I know is, he was having severe abdominal pains and went to the hospital," he said.
But a friend of Sheen's told celebrity TV show "Extra" that the pains were the result of a hernia injury that worsened when the 45-year-old Hollywood bad boy laughed too hard at a television show. It was not known what the show was.
"I'm not dying", Sheen was said to have told his friend Steve Bordersen, according to "Extra."
Rosenfield said Sheen's father, "West Wing" actor Martin Sheen, and his mother, Janet Templeton, were at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center.
Celebrity website TMZ.com said that actress Denise Richards, the second of Sheen's three former wives, was also at the hospital.
TMZ said emergency services were called to Sheen's Los Angeles-area house after a noisy party that had started late Tuesday.
TMZ said one of the guests claimed that a "briefcase full of cocaine" was delivered to the house at one point. Asked for comment, Rosenfield said, "I don't believe it." But he added he had no way of knowing since he was not present.
Sheen reportedly earns about $27.5 million for his starring role as a womanizing bachelor on "Two and a Half Men," the No. 1 comedy on U.S. television with some 15 million weekly viewers.
But his personal issues, including stints in rehab, an admitted penchant for porn stars and prostitutes, and a 2009 attack on his wife, have made as many headlines.
Sheen's "Two and A Half Men" co-star Jon Cryer told chat show host Conan O'Brien on Wednesday that he was never sure what to expect.
"It's always a little weird because ... the stuff you hear is just unbelievable. I mean like, I'm checking TMZ, as I do everyday, to know if I have to go to work at all," Cryer said.
Earlier this month, CBS executives said they were highly concerned about Sheen, but added that at work he behaved in a professional manner and that "Two and A Half Men" would continue.
Sheen was convicted in August for a Christmas Day 2009 attack on his third wife and was ordered to rehab.
In October, New York police found him drunk in his hotel room with a naked porn star. His spokesman said he had an allergic reaction to medication.
Sheen has five children. He signed up in May 2010 for two more seasons of "Two and A Half Men." No filming is scheduled this week for the show, but rehearsals are due to resume on Tuesday.
CBS, and Warner Bros television which produces "Two and a Half Men," declined to comment.
Reporting by Jill Serjeant and Zorianna Kit; Editing by Dean Goodman