3 Min Read
NEW YORK (Reuters Life!) - For holidaymakers looking for homes away from home, with a twist, travel website TripAdvisor (www.tripadvisor.com) has come up with a list of the world's quirkiest vacation rental homes.
This list, complied by the website's editors, is not endorsed by Reuters.
1. DOME ECILE, St. George Island, Florida
A geometrical wonder, DOME ECILE not only is a sight in and of itself, but it also sports beautiful beach views.
2. Calypso Castle, Skopelos, Greece
Complete with a stone tower and gorgeous views, Calypso Castle is a great rental home for travelers looking for a royal retreat.
3. Unique Hilltop Windmill Rental, Odemira, Portugal
Only in Portugal can you rent your own windmill-inspired house on top of its own mini-mountain for under $800 per week. As one TripAdvisor traveler puts it, "The Mill on the hill is rustic, homely, cozy and down to earth just the way it should be!"
4. 1926 C&O Caboose, Natural Bridge, Virginia, U.S.
Put on your conductor's hat and all aboard this bright red vacation rental constructed out of a classic railcar.
5. Chalet Tropical Crazy Cottages, Las Galeras, Dominican Republic
While this rental may look like a giant, thatched hut from the outside, it's spacious and stocked with all the comforts of home on the inside. It's also a short walk from the beach and the village of Las Galeras.
6. The White Elephant Floating Inn, Boston, Massachusetts, U.S.
For travelers looking to relive history and have their own Boston Tea Party, The White Elephant Floating Inn in Boston may be the perfect place to stay.
7. ModernCottage, Vancouver, Canada
Sprouting up from among the trees overlooking Pender Harbor, this modern architectural marvel has the look of a giant wooden box resting on a steep hill. It comes complete with chic decor and great views of the surrounding wilderness.
8. Elk Run, Crested Butte, Colorado, U.S.
Say hello to the not-so-little house on the prairie, offering enough space to sleep 12 and access to over 800 acres of land for hiking, biking, fishing and snowmobiling.
9. Anna Maria Island Private Tropical Garden Home, Holmes Beach, Florida, U.S.
With a tropical garden and waterfall pool right in its backyard, travelers staying at this rental may not find many reasons to leave "home" during their vacation.
10. 18'x86' Houseboat for Weekend Rentals, Knoxville, Tennessee, U.S.
For travelers with strong sea legs, the 18'x86' Houseboat offers not only a unique vacation rental experience but also plenty of amenities, including an upper deck hot tub, two entertainment bars and a gas grill with eight burners.
Editing by Miral Fahmy