Travel Picks: World's top 10 garlic festivals
LONDON (Reuters Life!) - Got a penchant for the pungent? Then try a garlic festival.
Travel website VirtualTourist.com (www.virtualtourist.com) offers its picks for the World's Top 10 Garlic Festivals. This list is not endorsed by Reuters.
1. Gilroy Garlic Festival; Gilroy, California. Visitors to Gilroy can attest that the scent of garlic is in the air before you even get off the freeway. The grand-daddy of U.S. garlic festivals, this one has collected millions of dollars over the years for area charities and hosted over three million visitors in its over 30-year history.
2. L'aglio di Voghiera; Voghiera, Ferrara, Italy. Take the Italian countryside, Italian cooking, Italian music, add a little garlic and you have what might be the most blissful three days a human being could ever experience. Among the many wonderful activities this festival offers is a garlic-braiding seminar.
3. Hudson Valley Garlic Festival; Saugerties, New York. This festival offers no fewer than five separate experts who give on-site lectures on the topic of garlic. Aside from various food products, vendors offer nearly 70 different varieties of garlic.
4. Isle of Wight Garlic Festival; Newchurch, Sandown, U.K. This festival offers garlic beer, garlic fudge, and garlic ice-cream. And they say England has a bad reputation for food.
5. Perth Garlic Festival; Perth, Ontario, Canada. Giant bouquets of the "Stinking Rose" are sold here the way cotton candy is sold at other festivals. The festival website even posts a recipe for garlic cough syrup.
6. La Foire à l'ail Fumé d'Arleux; Arleux, France. As many as 500 exhibitors set up shop during the three days of the Arleux garlic festival. Focusing on roasted garlic, this festival names a "Best Garlic Weaver" and offers garlic soup as its signature dish.
7. Takprü International Culture and Garlic Festival; Takprü, Turkey. Considered the garlic capital of the country, Takprü may be a relatively small city, but it hosts one giant of a festival. Once the festival is over, be sure to explore this ancient town's fascinating history. Continued...