Travel Picks: Top 10 free UK attractions
LONDON (Reuters Life!) - The best things in life are free and according to TripAdvisor travelers, it could well be true. TripAdvisor, which bills itself as the world's largest travel site, reveals the top 10 free attractions in Britain and Northern Ireland - as ranked by travelers through the site's Popularity Index. Reuters does not endorse this list.
1. Imperial War Museum, London, England This award-winning museum tells the story of conflict involving Britain and the Commonwealth since 1914. See thousands of imaginatively displayed exhibits, from art to aircraft, utility clothes to U-boats.
2. The National Gallery, London, England Located in the capital's iconic Trafalgar Square, The National Gallery houses one of the greatest collections of Western European painting in the world. Discover inspiring art by Botticelli, Caravaggio, Leonardo da Vinci, Monet, Raphael, Rembrandt, Titian, Vermeer and Van Gogh.
3. Giant's Causeway, Northern Ireland A World Heritage Site, Giant's Causeway lies at the foot of the basalt cliffs along the rugged Antrim coast of Northern Ireland. This intriguing rock formation is made up of some 40,000 massive black basalt columns sticking out of the sea and has been shrouded in myth and legend for centuries.
4. The Wallace Collection, London, England The Wallace Collection is a museum displaying superb works of art in an historic London town house. The twenty eight rooms present collections of French 18th century paintings, furniture and porcelain together with paintings by Titian, Canaletto, Rembrandt and Gainsborough.
5. British Museum, London, England Founded in 1753, the British Museum's remarkable collections span over two million years of human history and culture, all under one roof. Famous objects include the Rosetta Stone, sculptures from the Parthenon, Sutton Hoo treasures and the Portland Vase.
6. Borough Market, London, England This gourmand's delight is London's oldest food market and boasts a mouth-watering range of fresh food stalls under its Dickensian wrought-iron roof. Enjoy browsing, tasting and buying Italian cheeses, Morecambe Bay shrimps, Spanish meats and much more.
7. RAF Museum Cosford, Shropshire, England The Royal Air Force Museum houses one of the largest aviation collections in the country -70 historic aircraft are displayed in three wartime hangars within The National Cold War Exhibition.
8. Arthur's Seat, Edinburgh, Scotland Arthur's Seat is one of the seven hills of Edinburgh and is the remains of an extinct volcano rise. Arguably the best views are to the west overlooking Edinburgh Castle, the Old Town and the New Town. Continued...