2 Min Read
(Reuters) - Britain's Prince William and his girlfriend Kate Middleton are to get married next year, Buckingham Palace said on Tuesday.
Here are some details about William:
William is second in line to the throne after his father Prince Charles.
- Born William Arthur Philip Louis on June 21, 1982 at St Mary's Hospital, Paddington, west London, he is the elder son of heir-to-the-throne Prince Charles and the late Princess Diana.
- After attending Mrs Mynors School, Prince William became a pupil at Wetherby School in London, until 1990 and then Ludgrove School in Berkshire, until 1995. He then attended Eton College. William studied at St Andrews University in Scotland and graduated in Geography in 2005.
- Prince William was 15 when Diana, Princess of Wales was killed in a car crash in Paris at the end of August 1997. William and his younger brother Prince Harry walked behind their mother's cortege at her funeral procession in London.
- William joined the Royal Military Academy Sandhurst as an Officer Cadet and was commissioned as an army officer in front of the Queen at Sandhurst in December 2006 and joined the Household Cavalry (Blues and Royals) as a Second Lieutenant.
- William graduated as a search and rescue Pilot with the Royal Air Force in September 2010.
- William met Kate Middleton at St Andrews University in Scotland, where they were both began studying in September 2001. They shared a four-bedroom house in the town and went on several holidays together.
- Many cited intolerable media intrusion as the reason they broke up in 2007, but they soon got back together and will marry in 2011.
Writing by David Cutler in the editorial reference unit; and Peter Griffiths in London bureau; editing by Paul Casciato