China helps Italian menswear makers snub doomsayers

Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:27pm EST
 
Email This Article |
Share This Article
  • Facebook
  • LinkedIn
  • Twitter
| Print This Article | Single Page
[-] Text [+]

By Antonella Ciancio

MILAN (Reuters) - A rise in menswear sales to Chinese consumers will give Italian designers Roberto Cavalli and Dolce & Gabbana a lift when they kick off the 2012 fashion season on Saturday.

The luxury industry, resilient but not immune to crises, has tempered its optimistic growth forecasts for this year after consumer spending slowed in crisis-hit Europe before Christmas.

However, fashion retailers foresee a less severe impact from a recession than in 2009, after widening entry-price offers and trimming costs. Top brands such as Prada and Salvatore Ferragamo have continued to open stores in Asia.

"To make predictions now is not only difficult, but also dangerous: the risk is to create self-fulfilling prophecies, no matter how good or bad they are," Michele Tronconi, president of Italy's textile body Sistema Moda Italia (SMI) said this week.

Dolce & Gabbana, who show on Saturday, are folding their high street consumer D&G line into their top-named brand, which will now sell all their products from glamorous evening dresses to D&G-branded T-shirts.

"When we started out in 1984 there was the crisis, in 1990 there was the crisis, then in 2000... but we try to ride it and we want to be able to offer different, quality things at the right price," Stefano Gabbana told WWD last month.

Sales of Italian fashion, worth 52 billion euros ($66.54 billion) in 2011, are expected to grow by 6 percent in the first half of 2012, SMI said.

The trend looks stronger than in the second half of last year, but weaker than last spring, when the industry was still enjoying a healthy rebound from the 2009 meltdown.   Continued...