Beckham to make post-Galaxy decision by year-end

Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:47pm EST
 

By Mark Lamport-Stokes

CARSON, California (Reuters) - David Beckham says he has plenty of "exciting opportunities" to consider once his six-year playing career with the LA Galaxy ends after next month's Major League Soccer (MLS) Cup final.

Ruling out retirement, former England captain Beckham said he still has one more challenge to face on the field but will not decide on his next move until the end of this year.

"I still feel I have something left in me as a player," the former Manchester United and Real Madrid mid-fielder told reporters after a Galaxy practice session at the Home Depot Center on Tuesday.

"I still feel like I have one more challenge in me as a player, even at 37 years old. I feel I still can play at a high level. Where that will be yet, I haven't decided.

"I have some exciting opportunities on the table but right now my focus is on the final. Once that's out of the way, we have a tour to deal with and then it's Christmas, which we always spend in London. I will make a decision then."

Last week, Beckham's management denied he had plans to move to Australia's A-League though his decision to leave the Galaxy has prompted huge speculation over his next destination, with a return to England one of the options floated.

Asked if he could be more specific about his next move, Beckham replied: "No, because right now my focus is on the final and I haven't made a decision on that yet.

"There are options and I am very lucky at my age to have options. My decision will be made around December or in the New Year but right now I can't even comment on it."   Continued...

 
Los Angeles Galaxy's David Beckham (L) controls the ball as Real Madrid's Jose Maria Callejon (C) and Gonzalo Higuain (R) defend during the first half of their World Football Challenge international friendly soccer match in Carson, California August 2, 2012. REUTERS/Danny Moloshok