49ers crestfallen after ending five yards short of comeback

Mon Feb 4, 2013 2:05am EST
Email This Article |
Share This Article
  • Facebook
  • LinkedIn
  • Twitter
| Print This Article | Single Page
[-] Text [+]

By Simon Evans

NEW ORLEANS (Reuters) - The San Francisco 49ers came close to a record Super Bowl comeback but were left distraught after failing to convert three times from the five-yard line with the Lombardi Trophy within their grasp.

"Five yards short, all the work we did in the offseason, the whole entire season, everything came down to five yards and we weren't able to get it done," said dejected 49ers tackle Joe Staley.

The 49ers, searching for a sixth Super Bowl title, trailed 28-6 before a 35-minute power outage but roared back to find themselves down 34-29 on what was likely to be their final possession.

Colin Kaepernick drove San Francisco down to the Ravens' seven but, after a two-yard run by LaMichael James, the second-year quarterback threw three straight incomplete passes to hand the ball back to Baltimore with less than two minutes remaining.

After coming back from a 17-point deficit against the Atlanta to win the NFC Championship game, the 49ers believed they could produce another remarkable turnaround.

"We felt we were going to win the football game. We got all the way down to the five-yard line. With the offense that we have and the quarterback we have, I would think that we probably will punch it in," said safety Donte Whitner.

The defeat was the first in a Super Bowl for the franchise that had won all five previous appearances in the NFL's championship game.

The inquest will inevitably fall on how Kaepernick failed in the red-zone at the crucial moment and on the decision of offensive coordinator Greg Roman not to let him or powerful running back Frank Gore run the ball, at least once, from the five.   Continued...

San Francisco 49ers tackle Joe Staley (74) battles Baltimore Ravens defensive end Arthur Jones (97) after the play during the first quarter in the NFL Super Bowl XLVII football game in New Orleans, Louisiana, February 3, 2013. REUTERS/Sean Gardner