Calls grow for probe into police violence at Myanmar mine

Sat Dec 1, 2012 6:07am EST
Email This Article |
Share This Article
  • Facebook
  • LinkedIn
  • Twitter
| Print This Article | Single Page
[-] Text [+]

By Soe Zeya Tun

MONYWA, Myanmar (Reuters) - Buddhist monks marched in Myanmar's two biggest cities on Saturday to protest at police violence during a crackdown on demonstrators at a copper mine, while Nobel Peace laureate Aung San Suu Kyi and a rights group called for an official inquiry.

Activists said at least 50 people had been injured on Thursday, including more than 20 monks who had ended up in hospital, after riot police raided camps set up round the Monywa copper mine by villagers protesting against their forced eviction to make way for an expansion of the project.

Police used tear gas, water cannon and, according to activists, incendiary devices that local media described as "phosphorous bombs". Many of the injured suffered serious burns.

Phil Robertson, deputy Asia director at U.S.-based Human Rights Watch, called for a speedy, impartial investigation by the government.

"A hospital ward full of horribly burned Buddhist monks and other protesters deserve to know who attacked them while they were sleeping and what the government is going to do about it," he said.

"The crackdown ... is a fundamental test case for the government's commitment to peaceful assembly and willingness to demand accountability for abuses," he added.

Myanmar was ruled by a military junta for almost half a century until March 2011, but since then a quasi-civilian government under President Thein Sein has pushed through a series of political and economic reforms, leading Western states to ease sanctions.

Suu Kyi, who led the fight for democracy under the junta and is now a member of parliament, went to the Monywa area in the northwestern region of Sagaing to speak to locals on the day of the police raid. On Friday she also called for an inquiry.   Continued...

Police pray to Buddhist monks during an apology ceremony at a temple in Monywa December 1, 2012. Riot police fired water cannon and tear gas on Thursday to break up a three-month protest against a copper mining project run by the military-owned Union of Myanmar Economic Holdings Ltd and its partner, a subsidiary of a Chinese arms manufacturer China North Industries Corp. Activists said at least 50 people had been injured and 23 were in hospital, some suffering burns from what activists said were incendiary devices hurled by police. REUTERS/Soe Zeya Tun