Philippines, leftist rebels declare truces in disaster areas

Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:10am EST
 
Email This Article |
Share This Article
  • Facebook
  • LinkedIn
  • Twitter
| Print This Article | Single Page
[-] Text [+]

By Erik de Castro

DAVAO CITY, Philippines (Reuters) - The Philippine government and Maoist rebels have declared truces in two southern provinces devastated by a typhoon last week as the army concentrates on relief and many rebels recover from the disaster, a commander said on Monday.

Typhoon Bopha killed 647 people and caused crop damage worth 8.5 billion pesos ($210 million).

The most intense storm to hit the Philippines this year wiped out about 90 percent of three coastal towns in Davao Oriental province and buried an entire town in neighboring Compostela Valley province under mud.

Communist New People's Army (NPA) guerrillas are active in those two worst-hit provinces, which are on Mindano island.

Major-General Ariel Bernardo, an army division commander, said he had ordered troops to shift from combat to relief operations, and to help deliver food and rebuild communities.

"We heard the rebels had declared an informal ceasefire, we welcome that because we can all concentrate on helping typhoon victims," Bernardo told Reuters.

"I believe many of these rebels were also affected and could be in the shelter areas."

The death toll stood at 647 on Monday, with nearly 800 missing and more than 1,000 injured, the national disaster agency said in its latest tally. About 100 fishermen were feared lost between Mindanao and Indonesia's Sulawesi island.   Continued...

 
A Filipino small-scale miner carries his sand-sifting equipment used in gold mining on a river bed in the town of Mawab, Compostela Valley in southern Philippines December 9, 2012, five days after the year's strongest typhoon, Typhoon Bopha, first hit land. REUTERS/Erik De Castro