Top planners' input not asked for on Afghan "zero option": source

Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:51am EST
 

By Adrian Croft

BRUSSELS (Reuters) - Top military planners on the NATO-led mission in Afghanistan were not asked to give their views on the possibility of all U.S. troops being pulled out of the country after 2014, a senior NATO officer said on Thursday.

The fact that top planners have not been asked for input suggests the so-called "zero option" might not be being looked at seriously by U.S. President Barack Obama's administration.

Analysts have said that the U.S. administration may have floated the idea as a tactic to put pressure on Afghan President Hamid Karzai while the two sides negotiate over the future U.S. military presence in Afghanistan, including issues such as whether foreign soldiers would be immune from prosecution.

"We have not been asked to or been required to provide a conversation (advice) with respect to the zero option," the NATO officer said, briefing reporters on condition of anonymity.

Asked about the "zero option" last week, U.S. Deputy National Security Adviser Ben Rhodes said it was "an option that we would consider", contradicting the long-held expectation that thousands would remain to train and advise Afghan forces.

Alarmed Afghan lawmakers said disaster and civil war would follow if Washington pulled out all of its troops.

There are some 66,000 U.S. troops in Afghanistan. The U.S. and other foreign forces there are gradually reducing their troops as Afghan forces take charge of the nation's security.

General John Allen, the top U.S. and NATO commander in Afghanistan, has suggested keeping between 6,000 and 15,000 U.S. troops in Afghanistan after 2014, according to U.S. officials.   Continued...

 
U.S. Marines of Police Advisory Team Now Zad, 2nd Battalion, 7th Marines Regiment patrol a village near a police station in Now Zad district in Helmand province, southwestern Afghanistan November 8, 2012. REUTERS/Erik De Castro