Migrant dies on Greek-Macedonian border as Greece seeks to end standoff

Thu Dec 3, 2015 1:36pm EST
 
Email This Article |
Share This Article
  • Facebook
  • LinkedIn
  • Twitter
| Print This Article | Single Page
[-] Text [+]

By Alexandros Avramidis

IDOMENI, Greece (Reuters) - A Moroccan was electrocuted to death on the Greek-Macedonian border on Thursday in the second straight day of clashes between police and migrants stranded on the Greek side for weeks.

The 22-year-old man was the first person to die on the land border between the two countries, prompting calls by human rights groups for both sides to protect migrants' safety, and promises by Greece find a quick solution to end the standoff.

The victim was among some 3,000 people, mostly from Pakistan, Iran and Morocco, stuck near the northern Greek town of Idomeni, demanding to cross into non-EU Macedonia and then on to northern Europe.

His charred body lay next to railway lines before being carried aloft in a plastic body bag by angry migrants in a protest march, a Reuters witness said.

Overwhelmed by hundreds of thousands of people streaming into Europe this year, Balkan states began blocking passage last month to all but Syrians, Iraqis and Afghans, who are regarded as refugees because they are fleeing conflict.

Macedonia has erected a metal fence to keep others out and plans to extend it to cover more than 40 km (25 miles) of the border, an intelligence source who described the area as "high risk," said on condition of anonymity.

Dozens of migrants continued to block the crossing for refugees for a second day on Thursday, pelting Macedonian riot police with stones. The police fired tear gas in response. As night fell, the demonstrators began allowing families to cross.

Violence broke out on Saturday after another man, also believed to be Moroccan, was badly burned when he climbed on top of a train wagon and was electrocuted.   Continued...

 
Stranded migrants scuffle with Greek police officers as they try to cross the Greek-Macedonian border, near the village of Idomeni, Greece  December 2, 2015. REUTERS/Alexandros Avramidis