NEW YORK (Reuters) - - The Toronto Stock Exchange’s S&P/TSX .GSPTSE rose 34.08 points, or 0.22 percent, to 15,842.71.
- The biggest contributor to the TSX gain was Nutrien LTD (NTR.TO) with 7.82 net index points in the wake of its quarterly earnings late Tuesday. That helped boost materials sector .GSPTTMT as the top contributor with 13.76 net points.
- On the TSX 125 issues advanced and 121 declined as a 1-to-1 ratio favored advancers. There were 7 new highs and 2 new lows, with total volume of 238.6 million shares.
- The TSX’s energy group .SPTTEN rose 0.01 points, or 0.01 percent, while the financials sector .SPTTFS climbed 0.60 points, or 0.2 percent.
- West Texas Intermediate crude futures CLc1 fell 1.48 percent, or $1.05, to $69.68 a barrel [O/R]
- The TSX is off 2.3 percent for the year.
Reporting by Chuck Mikolajczak