NEW YORK (Reuters) -
* The Toronto Stock Exchange’s S&P/TSX rose 96.13 points, or 0.59 percent, to 16,280.09.
* The biggest contributor to the TSX gain was Suncor Energy with 20.3 net index points. Energy was the top sector contributor with 66.5 net points.
* Leading the index were Birchcliff Energy Ltd , up 4 percent, Trican Well Service Ltd , up 4 percent, and Western Forest Products Inc , higher by 3.5 percent.
* Lagging shares were WestJet Airlines Ltd , down 3.4 percent, Parex Resources Inc, down 3.4 percent, and Aphria Inc, lower by 2.8 percent.
* On the TSX 145 issues advanced and 96 declined as a 1.5-to-1 ratio favored advancers. There were 5 new highs and 6 new lows, with total volume of 248.3 million shares.
* The most heavily traded shares by volume were Aurora Cannabis Inc , Canopy Growth Corp and Enbridge Inc.
* West Texas Intermediate crude futures rose 3.48 percent, or $2.37, to $70.45 a barrel. Brent crude rose 2.22 percent, or $1.66, to $76.39 [O/R]
* The TSX is up 0.4 percent for the year.
Reporting by Lewis Krauskopf