NEW YORK (Reuters) -
* The Toronto Stock Exchange’s S&P/TSX fell 48.84 points, or 0.30 percent, to 16,231.25.
* The biggest contributor to the TSX loss was Shopify Inc with 8.2 net index points. Financials was the top sector contributor to the decline with 21.7 net points.
* Leading the index were MEG Energy Corp , up 5.5 percent, Centerra Gold Inc , up 5.2 percent, and Encana Corp , higher by 4.9 percent.
* Lagging shares were Corus Entertainment Inc , down 17.9 percent, Canopy Growth Corp, down 10.1 percent, and Eldorado Gold Corp, lower by 9.2 percent.
* On the TSX, 109 issues advanced and 134 declined as a 0.8-to-1 ratio favored decliners. There were 12 new highs and 7 new lows, with total volume of 233.7 million shares.
* The most heavily traded shares by volume were Baytex Energy Corp , Aurora Cannabis Inc and Canopy Growth Corp.
* The TSX’s energy group rose 3.10 points, or 1.53 percent.
* West Texas Intermediate crude futures rose 2.68 percent, or $1.89, to $72.42 a barrel. Brent crude rose 1.39 percent, or $1.06, to $77.37 [O/R]
* The TSX is up 0.1 percent for the year.
Reporting by Lewis Krauskopf