* The Toronto Stock Exchange’s S&P/TSX fell 14.57 points, or 0.09 percent, to 16,263.16.
* The biggest contributor to the TSX loss was Canadian National Railway with 9.3 net index points. Industrials was the top sector contributor with 16.3 net points.
* Leading the index were Yamana Gold Inc , up 6.5 percent, First Majestic Silver Corp , up 5.1 percent, and Detour Gold Corp , higher by 5 percent.
* Lagging shares were First Quantum Minerals Ltd , down 5.8 percent, Trican Well Service Ltd, down 4.3 percent, and Martinrea International Inc, lower by 4.0 percent.
* On the TSX 137 issues advanced and 106 declined as a 1.3-to-1 ratio favored advancers. There were 11 new highs and 6 new lows, with total volume of 167.6 million shares.
* The most heavily traded shares by volume were Bombardier Inc , Baytex Energy Corp and Canadian Natural Resources Ltd.
* The TSX’s energy group fell 0.92 points, or 0.45 percent, while the financials sector climbed 0.10 points, or 0.03 percent.
* West Texas Intermediate crude futures rose 0.3 percent, or $0.22, to $74.16 a barrel. Brent crude rose 0.47 percent, or $0.36, to $77.66 [O/R]
* The TSX is up 0.3 percent for the year.
Editing by Alden Bentley