NEW YORK (Reuters) -
* The Toronto Stock Exchange’s S&P/TSX rose 96.38 points, or 0.59 percent, to 16,548.72.
* TSX posts second-straight record closing high
* The biggest contributor to the TSX gain was Alimentation Couche-Tard Inc with 11.9 net index points. Energy was the top sector contributor with 36.3 net points.
* Leading the index were Paramount Resources Ltd , up 7.2 percent, Alimentation Couche-Tard, up 6.7 percent, and Birchcliff Energy Ltd , higher by 5.1 percent.
* Lagging shares were Torex Gold Resources Inc , down 4.2 percent, Badger Daylighting Ltd, down 3.5 percent, and First Capital Realty Inc, lower by 3.4 percent.
* On the TSX 155 issues advanced and 86 declined as a 1.8-to-1 ratio favored advancers. There were 19 new highs and 1 new lows, with total volume of 179.5 million shares.
* The most heavily traded shares by volume were Bombardier Inc , Baytex Energy Corp and Encana Corp.
* West Texas Intermediate crude futures rose 0.31 percent, or $0.23, to $74.08 a barrel. Brent crude rose 0.95 percent, or $0.74, to $78.81 [O/R]
* The TSX is up 2.1 percent for the year.
Reporting by Lewis Krauskopf