NEW YORK (Reuters) -
* The Toronto Stock Exchange’s S&P/TSX rose 150.10 points, or 0.91 percent, to 16,567.42.
* The biggest contributor to the TSX gain was Canadian National Railway Co with 10.1 net index points. Financials was the top sector contributor with 37.8 net points.
* Leading the index were Cogeco Communications Inc , up 8.9 percent, Birchcliff Energy Ltd , up 5.1 percent, and Constellation Software Inc , higher by 4.6 percent.
* Lagging shares were Hydro One Ltd , down 3.2 percent, Baytex Energy Corp, down 2.6 percent, and Endeavour Mining Corp, lower by 2.2 percent.
* On the TSX, 179 issues advanced and 57 declined as a 3.1-to-1 ratio favored advancers. There were 13 new highs and 2 new lows, with total volume of 168.4 million shares.
* The most heavily traded shares by volume were Bombardier Inc , Baytex Energy Corp and Aurora Cannabis Inc.
* West Texas Intermediate crude futures fell 0.18 percent, or $0.13, to $70.25 a barrel. Brent crude rose 1.17 percent, or $0.86, to $74.26 [O/R]
* The TSX is up 2.2 percent for the year.
Reporting by Lewis Krauskopf