SAN FRANCISCO (Reuters) - - The Toronto Stock Exchange’s S&P/TSX fell 66.85 points, or 0.45 percent, to 14,728.28 points.
- Leading the index were Aphria Inc , up 8.7 percent, Badger Daylighting Ltd , up 7.1 percent, and Shopify Inc , higher by 4.2 percent.
- Lagging shares were Trican Well Service Ltd , down 7.7 percent, West Fraser Timber Co Ltd, down 7.4 percent, and Exchange Income Corp, lower by 6.9 percent.
- On the TSX 61 issues rose and 181 fell as a 0.3-to-1 ratio favored decliners. There were 7 new highs and 52 new lows, with total volume of 274.1 million shares.
- The most heavily traded shares by volume were Bombardier Inc , Aphria Inc and Aurora Cannabis Inc.
- The TSX’s energy group fell 2.10 points, or 1.42 percent, while the financials sector slipped 0.86 points, or 0.31 percent.
- West Texas Intermediate crude futures fell 3.52 percent, or $1.85, to $50.76 a barrel. Brent crude fell 3 percent, or $1.85, to $59.82 [O/R]
- The TSX is off 9.1 percent for the year.
Reporting by Noel Randewich