SAN FRANCISCO (Reuters) - * The Toronto Stock Exchange’s S&P/TSX rose 115.23 points, or 0.79 percent, to 14,783.06.
* Leading the index were Maxar Technologies Ltd , up 7.6 percent, Kelt Exploration Ltd , up 7.3 percent, and Pretium Resources Inc , higher by 7 percent.
* Lagging shares were Aphria Inc , down 5.1 percent, Canadian Apartment Properties Real Estate Investment Trust (CAR_u.TO), down 4.2 percent, and Canopy Growth Corp, lower by 3.3 percent.
* On the TSX 157 issues rose and 82 fell as a 1.9-to-1 ratio favored advancers. There were 4 new highs and 17 new lows, with total volume of 266.6 million shares.
* The most heavily traded shares by volume were Aurora Cannabis Inc , Aphria Inc and Bombardier Inc.
* The TSX’s energy group rose 2.24 points, or 1.55 percent, while the financials sector climbed 1.83 points, or 0.66 percent.
* West Texas Intermediate crude futures fell 1.01 percent, or $0.52, to $51.13 a barrel. Brent crude fell 0.08 percent, or $0.05, to $60.15
* The TSX is off 8.8 percent for the year.
Reporting by Noel Randewich