NEW YORK (Reuters) - * The Toronto Stock Exchange’s S&P/TSX fell 232.42 points, or 1.59 percent, to 14,362.65.
* Leading the index were Pretium Resources Inc , up 10.6 percent, Eldorado Gold Corp , up 10.3 percent, and Yamana Gold Inc , higher by 8.8 percent.
* Lagging shares were Tamarack Valley Energy Ltd , down 10.4 percent, Shopify Inc, down 7.4 percent, and Cascades Inc, lower by 7.2 percent.
* On the TSX 46 issues rose and 198 fell as a 0.2-to-1 ratio favored decliners. There were no new highs and 58 new lows, with total volume of 261.9 million shares.
* The most heavily traded shares by volume were Aurora Cannabis Inc , Bombardier Inc and Manulife Financial Corp.
* The TSX’s energy group fell 3.47 points, or 2.45 percent, while the financials sector slipped 3.77 points, or 1.36 percent.
* West Texas Intermediate crude futures fell 3.85 percent, or $1.97, to $49.23 a barrel. Brent crude fell 2.37 percent, or $1.49, to $58.79.
* The TSX is off 11.4 percent for the year.
Reporting by Lewis Krauskopf