FILE PHOTO: A TMX Group sign, the company that runs the Toronto Stock Exchange (TSX), is seen in Toronto, June 23, 2014. REUTERS/Mark Blinch
- The Toronto Stock Exchange’s TSX rises 0.41 percent to 16,751.31
- Leading the index were Dream Global REIT (DRG_u.TO), up 16.9 percent, Baytex Energy Corp (BTE.TO), up 16.6 percent, and Encana Corp (ECA.TO), higher by 16.3 percent.
- Lagging shares were Aurora Cannabis Inc (ACB.TO), down 7.7 percent, CannTrust Holdings Inc (TRST.TO), down 7.0 percent, and NovaGold Resources Inc (NG.TO), lower by 4.7 percent.
- On the TSX 127 issues rose and 109 fell as a 1.2-to-1 ratio favored advancers. There were 7 new highs and 1 new low, with total volume of 307.3 million shares.
- The most heavily traded shares by volume were Encana Corp (ECA.TO), Baytex Energy Corp (BTE.TO) and Canadian Natural Resources Ltd (CNQ.TO).
- The TSX’s energy group .SPTTEN rose 12.52 points, or 9.3 percent, while the financials sector .SPTTFS slipped 0.71 points, or 0.2 percent.
- West Texas Intermediate crude futures CLc1 rose 12.82 percent, or $7.03, to $61.88 a barrel. Brent crude LCOc1 rose 12.99 percent, or $7.82, to $68.04 [O/R]
- The TSX is up 17 percent for the year.