FILE PHOTO: A TMX Group sign, the company that runs the Toronto Stock Exchange (TSX), is seen in Toronto, June 23, 2014. REUTERS/Mark Blinch
- The Toronto Stock Exchange’s TSX rises 0.35 percent to 16,859.77
- Leading the index were First Quantum Minerals Ltd (FM.TO), up 13.2 percent, CannTrust Holdings Inc (TRST.TO), up 5.2 percent, and OceanaGold Corp (OGC.TO), higher by 5.2 percent.
- Lagging shares were Canopy Growth Corp (WEED.TO), down 8.7 percent, Cronos Group Inc (CRON.TO), down 6.5 percent, and Aphria Inc (APHA.TO), lower by 3.8 percent.
- On the TSX 148 issues rose and 85 fell as a 1.7-to-1 ratio favored advancers. There were 9 new highs and no new lows, with total volume of 207.6 million shares.
- The most heavily traded shares by volume were Baytex Energy Corp (BTE.TO), Encana Corp (ECA.TO) and Bombardier Inc (BBDb.TO).
- The TSX’s energy group .SPTTEN fell 0.61 points, or 0.4 percent, while the financials sector .SPTTFS climbed 1.44 points, or 0.5 percent.
- West Texas Intermediate crude futures CLc1 rose 0.45 percent, or $0.26, to $58.37 a barrel. Brent crude LCOc1 rose 1.56 percent, or $0.99, to $64.59 [O/R]
- The TSX is up 17.7 percent for the year.