FILE PHOTO: A TMX Group sign, the company that runs the Toronto Stock Exchange (TSX), is seen in Toronto, June 23, 2014. REUTERS/Mark Blinch
* The Toronto Stock Exchange’s TSX falls 0.08 percent to 16,784.29
* Leading the index were Shopify Inc (SHOP.TO), up 6.9 percent, Hudbay Minerals Inc (HBM.TO), up 3.9 percent, and Wesdome Gold Mines Ltd (WDO.TO), higher by 3.7 percent.
* Lagging shares were Eldorado Gold Corp (ELD.TO), down 8.1 percent, MAG Silver Corp (MAG.TO), down 6.0 percent, and Seabridge Gold Inc (SEA.TO), lower by 6.0 percent.
* On the TSX 108 issues rose and 117 fell as a 0.9-to-1 ratio favored decliners. There were 14 new highs and 3 new lows, with total volume of 195.9 million shares.
* The most heavily traded shares by volume were Encana Corp (ECA.TO), Aurora Cannabis Inc (ACB.TO) and Crescent Point Energy Corp (CPG.TO).
* The TSX’s energy group .SPTTEN fell 0.62 points, or 0.4 percent, while the financials sector .SPTTFS climbed 1.28 points, or 0.4 percent.
* West Texas Intermediate crude futures CLc1 fell 1.38 percent, or $0.79, to $56.5 a barrel. Brent crude LCOc1 fell 1.11 percent, or $0.7, to $62.4 [O/R]
* The TSX is up 17.2 percent for the year.