FILE PHOTO: The Art Deco facade of the original Toronto Stock Exchange building is seen on Bay Street in Toronto, Ontario, Canada January 23, 2019. REUTERS/Chris Helgren
- The Toronto Stock Exchange’s TSX falls 0.83 percent to 16,310.97
- Leading the index were Stars Group Inc (TSGI.TO), up 30.8 percent, Winpak Ltd (WPK.TO), up 8.4 percent, and Alacer Gold Corp (ASR.TO), higher by 5.4 percent.
- Lagging shares were First Quantum Minerals Ltd (FM.TO), down 7.7 percent, Tourmaline Oil Corp (TOU.TO), down 6.5 percent, and Exchange Income Corp (EIF.TO), lower by 5.4 percent.
- On the TSX 76 issues rose and 151 fell as a 0.5-to-1 ratio favored decliners. There were 2 new highs and 12 new lows, with total volume of 218.0 million shares.
- The most heavily traded shares by volume were Aurora Cannabis Inc (ACB.TO), Bombardier Inc (BBDb.TO) and Encana Corp ECA.TO.
- The TSX’s energy group .SPTTEN fell 3.10 points, or 2.3 percent, while the financials sector .SPTTFS slipped 4.78 points, or 1.5 percent.
- West Texas Intermediate crude futures CLc1 fell 1.88 percent, or $1.01, to $52.61 a barrel. Brent crude LCOc1 fell 2.22 percent, or $1.31, to $57.58 [O/R]
- The TSX is up 13.9 percent for the year.