FILE PHOTO: The Art Deco facade of the original Toronto Stock Exchange building is seen on Bay Street in Toronto, Ontario, Canada January 23, 2019. REUTERS/Chris Helgren
- The Toronto Stock Exchange’s TSX rises 0.36 percent to 16,369.03
- Leading the index were Aurora Cannabis Inc (ACB.TO), up 8.1 percent, Canopy Growth Corp (WEED.TO), up 6.2 percent, and Shopify Inc (SHOP.TO), higher by 5.2 percent.
- Lagging shares were Linamar Corp (LNR.TO), down 10.3 percent, Turquoise Hill Resources Ltd (TRQ.TO), down 6.2 percent, and Secure Energy Services Inc (SES.TO), lower by 4.2 percent.
- On the TSX 144 issues rose and 82 fell as a 1.8-to-1 ratio favored advancers. There were 4 new highs and 10 new lows, with total volume of 237.8 million shares.
- The most heavily traded shares by volume were Encana Corp ECA.TO, Aurora Cannabis Inc (ACB.TO) and Toronto-dominion Bank (TD.TO).
- The TSX’s energy group .SPTTEN rose 0.49 points, or 0.4 percent, while the financials sector .SPTTFS slipped 0.34 points, or 0.1 percent.
- West Texas Intermediate crude futures CLc1 fell 0.61 percent, or $0.32, to $52.32 a barrel. Brent crude LCOc1 fell 0.12 percent, or $0.07, to $57.62 [O/R]
- The TSX is up 14.3 percent for the year.