FILE PHOTO: The Art Deco facade of the original Toronto Stock Exchange building is seen on Bay Street in Toronto, Ontario, Canada January 23, 2019. REUTERS/Chris Helgren
- The Toronto Stock Exchange’s TSX rises 0.26 percent to 16,422.68
- Leading the index were Teck Resources Ltd (TECKb.TO), up 6.6 percent, Hudbay Minerals Inc (HBM.TO), up 5.8 percent, and Lundin Mining Corp (LUN.TO), higher by 4.9 percent.
- Lagging shares were Hexo Corp (HEXO.TO), down 22.9 percent, Aphria Inc (APHA.TO), down 13.5 percent, and Canopy Growth Corp (WEED.TO), lower by 10.8 percent.
- On the TSX 132 issues rose and 93 fell as a 1.4-to-1 ratio favored advancers. There were 5 new highs and 4 new lows, with total volume of 185.9 million shares.
- The most heavily traded shares by volume were Aurora Cannabis Inc (ACB.TO), Encana Corp (ECA.TO) and Hexo Corp (HEXO.TO).
- The TSX’s energy group .SPTTEN rose 1.33 points, or 1.1 percent, while the financials sector .SPTTFS climbed 0.97 points, or 0.3 percent.
- West Texas Intermediate crude futures CLc1 rose 2.03 percent, or $1.07, to $53.66 a barrel. Brent crude LCOc1 rose 1.65 percent, or $0.96, to $59.28
- The TSX is up 14.7 percent for the year.