FILE PHOTO: A TMX Group sign, the company that runs the Toronto Stock Exchange (TSX), is seen in Toronto, June 23, 2014. REUTERS/Mark Blinch/File Photo
* The Toronto Stock Exchange’s TSX rises 0.47 percent to 16,672.25
* Leading the index were Gran Tierra Energy Inc (GTE.TO), up 8.9%, Vermilion Energy Inc (VET.TO), up 8.7%, and Seven Generations Energy Ltd (VII.TO), higher by 8.6%.
* Lagging shares were OceanaGold Corp (OGC.TO), down 5.6%, Centerra Gold Inc (CG.TO), down 4.0%, and Wheaton Precious Metals Corp (WPM.TO), lower by 3.7%.
* On the TSX 139 issues rose and 92 fell as a 1.5-to-1 ratio favored advancers. There were 18 new highs and no new lows, with total volume of 147.8 million shares.
* The most heavily traded shares by volume were Bombardier Inc (BBDb.TO), Encana Corp ECA.TO and Baytex Energy Corp (BTE.TO).
* The TSX’s energy group .SPTTEN rose 4.31 points, or 3.4%, while the financials sector .SPTTFS climbed 2.36 points, or 0.8%.
* West Texas Intermediate crude futures CLc1 rose 0.66%, or $0.37, to $56.57 a barrel. Brent crude LCOc1 rose 0.76% , or $0.47, to $62.16
* The TSX is up 16.4% for the year.